Samstag, 21. Mai 2011

4) The book you hate the most

This is a hard one. I don't remember really hating a book. There are quite some books I don't like or that I didn't even finish, but there isn't one particular book that I hated so much I burned it or something. So I'll just talk about 4 different books that I don't like for different reasons.
Let's start with the most obvious one: Twilight. Yes, I actually read it. It's badly written. Take any random fanfiction story written by a 14 year old girl on the internet and you probably got about the same quality (I'm not saying that there is only bad fanfiction out there. But most of it is bad). The characters are stereotypical, the main character is boring and it gives a weird, creepy and unrealistic picture of love and relationships. How come noone finds it repulsive that a 100-year-old-guy (or whatever his age was) is romanticly involved with a 17 year old girl? I mean, yes, he looks young, but I don't think the reason why old people shouldn't hook up with underage people is just because they look old. Anyway. I think the vampires in this book are stupid sparkling super heroes that can do about everything, which is annoying. For me, the fascinating thing about vampires has always been that on the one hand they are immortal and have certain powers but on the other hand they are also very weak, e.g. die when exposed to sunlight. Anyway, this book wouldn't bother me as much, if it was just a stupid book that about 10 people read. Whatever. But a LOT of people read it, especially young girls, and I don't want them to have Bella as a role model. Seriously, if there is an old guy creeping into your bedroom every night and watching you sleep, that is NOT romantic. Call the fucking police. Thanks.

Book number 2. This is probably a little more controversial than Twilight... the bible. I personally don't believe in god, but that's not what this is about. If people want to believe in God and in Jesus etc. that's fine with me. What I don't like about the bible is that it makes no sense. It is full of contradictions and "love thy neighbour" can be seen as the central message just as much as "god hates fags". And yes, of course, people could make up these messages without the bible as well, but they would be taken less seriously. Most people haven't read the bible themselves, so if someone says "ok, here it says guys shouldn't sleep with guys, look, it's in the bible" they can't say "yes, but here it says something completely different". There are a lot of christians who don't read the bible but rather listen to what priests etc. say about it - which makes sense, as they are the experts on the field. I do the same thing when I go to the doctor. I'm usually not questioning his expertise. However, the difference is that my doctor's opinion might be wrong but is at least based on science, while the priests opinion is based on his personal beliefs and the little part of the bible backing up these beliefs, written by people ages ago, in completely different times! So yes, I don't hate the bible itself, I just don't like how it's used and that it still has such a big impact on society.

Book number 3. Something completely different. Stephen King's "Insomnia". I used to be a huge Stephen King fan and still own shelves of Stephen King novels. This was the last book I read by him. I don't know if it's just because I have gotten older and my taste changed or because this book is particularly bad, but I didn't finish it, because I didn't like it at all. I don't remember much of the story, just that it made no sense at all. It was about this old guy, who couldn't sleep and then he got younger and then he fucked someone and other people were killed and then he and his also-now-young-again-girlfriend went into some kind of cave, I think? I don't know. It was boring. And I don't understand why people have to fuck all the time. Yes, of course, if it makes sense it's alright if it's in the book but in this book it wasn't necessary at all! Even worse it is in "it", where, if I remember correctly, a bunch of 12-year-olds (6 boys and 1 girl) have to get some gang bang action going to get out of the canalization. WTF? ... anyway, nothing really to hate about "Schlaflos". Just not worth reading.

Book number 4: Klinische Psychologie und Psychotherapie. I probably only dislike this book so much because I had to spend so much time with it and then fucked up the exam. It's just a book about clinical psychology and psychotherapy. Some chapters are well written, others not so much. It hardly discusses depth psychology and psychoanalysis, which I think it should. I'm not a fan of psychoanalysis at all, but still I think there should be a chapter in a book like this, just for completeness sake. But of yourse it's not, because cognitive behavioural therapy people think psychoanalysists are weird (which they are) and not scientific and therefore students shouldn't be taught about it - I bet it's completely the other way around at other universities. I don't know. I understand that not every aspect of a field can be taught at university, but most therapists still are depth psychologists or psychoanalysists, so it's not just some weirdos you can ignore. Why not trust the students to be critical thinkers who can deliver their own reasonable judgement?

4 Kommentare:

  1. Spannendes Spektrum, das Du da hast. Und witzigerwiese ist wieder ein Buch dabei, das ich wohl an einem anderen Tag vorstellen werde :)

    AntwortenLöschen
  2. Hell, you did an 1.7, that's not fucking up. Besides, the whole exam was hard as hell, so: No? You did great?

    Well, yeah, that's about all I wanted to comment. Oh, one other thing:

    "And I don't understand why people have to fuck all the time." <-- I couldn't put it in better words. Exactly my point. In general. And so on.

    AntwortenLöschen
  3. @Nec: I did, if you compare the result with the time and effort I put into it.

    @Gisi: Ich bin gespannt! :)

    AntwortenLöschen
  4. Interesting Choices. I totally support your opinion on the usage of the bible. Most people overlook, that it was actually written thousands of years ago and many rules, commandments, laws etc. are obsolete today, yet still there are people, who quote the bible in order to validate their personal beliefs just by finding an antique text which tells them that about three thousand years ago someone had a similar idea. I've met a person like this only once in my life and asked her, why she would take parts of the bible literally, while others are analogies, archaic or just (to quote her) "stupid".
    There once was a very funny letter to the host of a show of american radio broadcast, where people could call her and ask for advice. After she stated she couldn't tolerate homosexuals because of Leviticus 18:22, which says homosexuality is an abomination, she has received a very nice letter by a "fan" who asks her for advice on some other laws found in the bible which, in a modern civilisation, are quite absurd. The whole thing is kind of an internet myth, so nobody knows if this letter was actually sent to her or not. Nevertheless, it's a funny example on how taking the bible literally does contradict some modern laws, e.g. the human rights: http://www.snopes.com/politics/religion/drlaura.asp

    AntwortenLöschen