Samstag, 4. Juni 2011

18) The book with the most beautiful cover that you own

Another hard choice. I'll go with "Biological Psychology" by Rosenzweig, Breedlove & Watson, which is, by the way, also a very well written and very well designed book. Why do I like this cover so much? First of all, it's beautifully drawn. I think everyone can agree that Michelangela was a very skilled artist. Moreover, he was a fucking badass! Being audacious enough to paint a human brain on the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel in times when the Christian church forbade science and medicine and depiction of the dissected human body? Fucking awesome! Also, there might be a hidden message in this: maybe our brain is the reason for a lot of the things the church believes god is the reason for? A thought like this in 1508! And then painting a human brain in a chapel right in front of the eyes of the church! I love this man. He must have had balls the size of Russia.
Also, for people who are like "Brain? I don't see a brain!": have a look at this:
And, as a comparison, at this:



See? See? It's a brain! ... Yes, I could geek out about this forever. I love this picture enough that I own it as a 5000-pieces puzzle that I did twice already, by the way. You can have a look at me magically putting it together here:

3 Kommentare:

  1. *auf das Video starr* Irre. Ich habe immer den Rand zuerst gepuzzelt.
    Das mit dem Gehirn wusste ich mal so garnicht. Und das kann nicht auch einfach nur Zufall sein, oder so?

    AntwortenLöschen
  2. The video is still great. And the picture, too.
    But I guess Michelangelo didn't really intend to say, that god might be a product of our imagination. I think it wasn't even that clear, that thoughts are located in the brain, was it?

    But still: Quite badass, the young lad.

    AntwortenLöschen
  3. @Gisi: *g* Das Video ist eine rückwärts abgespielte Version des Abbauens des Puzzles. Aber es ist toll, dass das immer so gut funktioniert :D
    Und Zufall ist es vermutlich nicht, da wohl bekannt ist, dass Michelangelo Leute zerlegt hat, um sie zu studieren. ... also, die waren natürlich schon tot. Die Kirche fand das trotzdem nicht so flauschig.

    AntwortenLöschen