Dienstag, 14. Juni 2011

28) Fortunately, this book has been turned into a movie

It's kind of hard to think of a book that fits that statement, because mostly, I don't like the movies, when I read the book first. So maybe the only reason I like The Green Mile is, that I watched the movie before I read the book. Actually, before I read any book by Stephen King. The book, in fact, made me start reading Stephen King novels, which was the only thing I read between 13 und 16 and my enthusiasm for them ceased just a few years back.
The book (or rather: the books, because it was published in several books at first) tells its story from the point of view of Paul Edgecomb, a corrections officer in charge of the Death Row inmates in the 1930s. One day he gets a new inmate, a huge black guy called John Coffey, who supposedly raped and killed two little girls. This guy, who is not exactly the brightest crayon in the box, turns out to have healing hands and also to be innocent. The book touches a lot of interesting subjects like capital punishment, racism and abuse of power. It's also quite amazing, that the movie is that good. If you ever tried to watch a couple of Stephen King movies, you know that it's quite hard to find good ones.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen